TOUR GUIDES FOR PROTECTED AREAS IN BULGARIA
The current situation is characterized by the facts, that protected areas serve as attractive destinations for tour operators, whereas tourists themselves often don`t realize that they are hiking, biking or residing in a protected area. Additionally, the protected areas, themselves do not participate very much in the monetary benefit (added value) tourism may create in a certain region.
The main project objective is to improve this situation for both, tourists and protected areas, by the implementation of enhanced visitor guiding systems.
The following sub-goals are in the project`s focus:
- Promotion of protected areas in Bulgaria for the target group of (German) hiking tourists;
- Enhancement of the visibility of protected areas for hiking tourists;
- Qualification of protected areas staff members to act as nature tour guides for individual tourists and groups;
- Qualification of local young adults to act as accompanying English speaking interpreters (creation of tandem-team-tour guides);
- Development and testing of a specialized internet-platform, working as an intermediate agency between tour guides and (esp. German) tourists. (This platform will not act as a tour operator, but as a tool for individual tour guide marketing);
The project intends to generate added value on the ground by using the specialized nature-know-how of experts and staff members of protected areas who are willing and able to work as hiking tour guides besides their regular duties.
German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU)
Some impressions: Project photos
Dr. Dorothe Lütkemöller
0049 (0) 5823 9552141
Geografin Carmen Jorzik
0049 (0) 1573 4040792
SOIL PERCEPTION FOR NATURE GUIDES IN PROTECTED AREAS
The main aim of the project is to stimulate the interest of nature guides in soils and offer further education activities for this target group, that will support them to become active and competent multiplicators for “soil as protection deserving ressource”. Nature guides are to be motivated and supported to integrate soil aspects into their existing tour – concepts. It is assumed that the soil topic is very well appropriate to enhance the attractiveness of existing tour concepts in protected areas and thus will provide nature guides with additional benefits.
More details: Project Concept